• Welcome to our brand new forum! We've listened to your feedback and realized that people wanted (and needed) a space to connect. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQs to read through the Roots of Loneliness forum rules. You must register before you can post in the forums.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Wednesday
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2025
    • 16

    Mother's Day is approaching

    Being estranged from my family of origin, Mother's Day was never much to me. But my husband was close to his mom, and this is his second Mother's Day without her. I can tell he's thinking about it, but he doesn't want to talk about it.

    I'd love to hear any tips to support a partner dealing with a parental loss even a long time after. I don't have a frame of reference for this and am still not sure what's helpful and what's annoying.
  • Gin
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2025
    • 6

    In my experience, grief doesn’t really follow a timeline and holidays, birthdays, anniversaries and stuff can bring those feelings back to the surface even when years have passed. The fact that you’ve noticed he’s feeling it, even if he’s not talking, already says a lot about how much you care.

    I think the most helpful thing is just to create space for him to feel whatever he’s feeling, without trying to fix it. And small gestures, like making his favorite dinner, getting his favorite comfort foods (clearly food is my love language) or suggesting an activity he enjoys like catching a movie, playing a game, or whatever, can provide comfort without requiring words.

    Just your presence, without the pressure to talk unless he wants to, is often enough. And he might open up about it on his own.

    Not sure what things really meaningful to him, but is there something he might want to do to honor his mom on Mother's Day? I'm not a fan of visiting the dead at grave sites, because I feel like they stay with us no matter where we are, but if there's something that might be meaningful to him in some way, maybe he'd want to do that?

    Comment

    • Wednesday
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2025
      • 16

      We talked it out and decided to have breakfast for dinner (her favorite) and then FaceTime with his sister to tell stories. So all pleasant things that honor her.

      Comment

      • SummerDay
        Member
        • Apr 2025
        • 53

        Originally posted by Wednesday
        We talked it out and decided to have breakfast for dinner (her favorite) and then FaceTime with his sister to tell stories. So all pleasant things that honor her.
        I love that idea. I've never been a Mother's Day kind of person (same with birthdays and anything else that's a "big day") but this sounds really sweet, and a perfect thing to do.

        Comment

        • SummerDay
          Member
          • Apr 2025
          • 53

          How was everything on Mother's Day? Wednesday

          Comment


          • Wednesday
            Wednesday commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for asking. It was chill and nice. No drama, which is the best I could hope for.

        Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

        Weekly reflections, meaningful stories, and thoughtful advice for navigating loneliness — delivered when you need it most.

        Latest Activity

        Collapse

        Latest Topics

        Collapse

        • Not spending Christmas with family

          So last year was the first year I decided not to spend the holidays with my family. I visited in October, then celebrated with friends over the holidays....

          09-08-2026, 10:51 AM By Birdie_94
        Working...