• Welcome to our brand new forum! We've listened to your feedback and realized that people wanted (and needed) a space to connect. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQs to read through the Roots of Loneliness forum rules. You must register before you can post in the forums.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Wednesday
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2025
    • 16

    Father’s Day loneliness

    I have only a few vague memories and some curt emails as evidence that I had a dad. I tend to avoid all mention of Father’s Day (except maybe in a horror movie context) but I’m feeling weird about it this year. Not sure why. So many of my friends are losing their dads and I feel jealous that they had beloved dads for so long. But then I feel like jealousy is a gross emotion. I dunno.
  • Weighty
    Member
    • Apr 2025
    • 58

    I don't think "jealousy" (and I put that in quotes because it can manifest as so many different emotions at times), is inherently "bad" -- it could just point to sadness, loss and unexplained or un-dealt with trauma of loss.

    I have cousins who lost their father (my dad's brother) when they were very young -- I remember them telling me a long time ago "you're so lucky that you have a dad..." I was young at the time and didn't know what they meant in the full context as I did later in life when I had spent many beautiful years with dad before he passed.

    In that time, he became a surrogate father to some of them, and thought of them as daughters, but I know it wasn't the same for them.

    I would never begrudge someone for their feelings, especially when it comes to such a deep and profound feeling of loss or void inside.

    Comment

    • Gin
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2025
      • 6

      I never knew my dad, although I know I have one. Somewhere. I used to get a little jealous of friends who had traditional nuclear families though, with dads that did dad-daughter stuff. So I don’t feel like the emotion is gross. It’s sort of grieving for something you just don’t have but would have wanted, if you could have.

      Comment

      • Ali
        Lead Administrator
        • Apr 2025
        • 82

        We were never big "father's day/mother's day" people so it's not a holiday I think much about... but I get the jealousy for sure. My dad passed 10 years ago (how has it been that long???).

        Comment

        Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

        Weekly reflections, meaningful stories, and thoughtful advice for navigating loneliness — delivered when you need it most.

        Latest Activity

        Collapse

        Latest Topics

        Collapse

        • Not spending Christmas with family

          So last year was the first year I decided not to spend the holidays with my family. I visited in October, then celebrated with friends over the holidays....

          09-08-2026, 10:51 AM By Birdie_94
        Working...