• Welcome to our brand new forum! We've listened to your feedback and realized that people wanted (and needed) a space to connect. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQs to read through the Roots of Loneliness forum rules. You must register before you can post in the forums.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SummerDay
    Member
    • Apr 2025
    • 53

    Not really feeling fireworks this fourth of July

    The fourth is coming up and everyone's all picnics and barbecues and get-togethers and fireworks-watching... but I'm not really feeling it. Even though it's a holiday, I was planning on just working on my own stuff at home and staying in.

    Anyone else sitting out the festivities this year? What are you doing instead?
  • Ali
    Lead Administrator
    • Apr 2025
    • 82

    I'll probably work during the day, maybe even work on my own book stuff if others are taking the full day off, and dinner as usual with the family. We talked about maybe getting together with our closest friends but they're heading out of state for a few days.

    MIGHT see if there are fireworks downtown or something, that we can maybe watch from the corner of our block. Other than that, it's pretty much going to be like any other day.

    I imagine it's going to be loud. We live in a city neighborhood now so I have a feeling a lot of folks will be setting off their own backyard fireworks. I'm sure our cat is going to LOVE that. LOL!

    Comment

    • SummerDay
      Member
      • Apr 2025
      • 53

      Yeah, my neighborhood is like that too. People have been shooting stuff off here and there for several days now but they always do, like the week before and week after. I feel bad for all the dogs in the neighborhood lol.

      You mentioned "book stuff". Are you writing one?

      Comment

      • Weighty
        Member
        • Apr 2025
        • 58

        We just watched some fireworks tonight (on the 3rd) since it is a local show that happens every year before the 4th. It's a nice little show that everyone in the neighborhood gets together to watch, and it's a nice excuse to invite some folks to come over and partake.

        Other than that, nothing much as I don't usually want to do the larger shows because of all the logistics and hassles involved with driving, parking and crowds.

        Sometimes, it's nice just to have a lower-key day to just be!

        Comment

        • Ali
          Lead Administrator
          • Apr 2025
          • 82

          I don't miss the traffic and parking... we used to go to a big show that was near-ish to where we used to live, when the kids were small. One of the biggest fireworks shows in the area and it WAS really great. Plus they had fair food/vendors around. But parking, and then getting OUT of there afterward... I don't miss that, at all.

          Now that the kids are grown and no one really seems to care much about it, we just take it as a low-key day.

          SummerDay Yeah I am writing a book. Well, technically a couple... I've got more than one project I'm working on because I'm a glutton for punishment LOL!

          Comment

          • SummerDay
            Member
            • Apr 2025
            • 53

            It's days later now and people are still shooting off fireworks in the evenings around here. But it was a nice Friday and weekend, at any rate. I did some errands, ordered in one night, and I've been binge-watching some brat pack movies on streaming.

            Comment

            Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

            Weekly reflections, meaningful stories, and thoughtful advice for navigating loneliness — delivered when you need it most.

            Latest Activity

            Collapse

            Latest Topics

            Collapse

            • Not spending Christmas with family

              So last year was the first year I decided not to spend the holidays with my family. I visited in October, then celebrated with friends over the holidays....

              09-08-2026, 10:51 AM By Birdie_94
            Working...